We are living in a world of abundant choices at competitive prices. Every month publishers are coming with hundreds of “How to crack” and “Question bank” books. We are spoiled with so many choices that it takes lot of time to browse the list of books in popular sites like Amazon and Flipkart. Though choices are many, quality content is restricted to few books and publications. In this article, we try to understand the methods for utilizing CAT study material in a simple manner:
CAT Study Material and Reference Books
Any study material of popular coaching institute per se is good, take for example study material of TIME, Career Launcher, IMS and Test Funda. But the problem comes when students try different study materials to overcome the fear of missing out variety of questions. Instead of focusing on one set students try different study materials. In CAT or any other aptitude based competitive exam, more material does not lead to success. Restricting oneself to single set of material is sufficient. Similarly, students are suggested to refer noted author or publisher books only on need basis. Reference books to be used for overcoming any weak areas. Depending on time availability students may do the complete reference book material.
Steps for utilization of material:
1) Take any topic in one study material and complete the same. Now go through the reference books and complete the relevant chapter.
2) Maintain a separate note book for each section. Write the formulae and tips/tricks mentioned in the study/reference material in the notes. This book will help a student a lot at the time of revision and for quick glance during the final stages of CAT preparation.
3) If you complete the entire study material and reference book, then repeat the same. Repeatedly doing the same book will help you a lot. If you are worried about limitation of questions, then attempt various exercises and mock exams from study material. But never ever try different study materials or reference books. Just stick to one set.
P.S: Reference books I suggest for CAT and other aptitude based competitive exams
1) Quantitative Ability – How to crack CAT Quant Aptitide by Arun Sharma (or) Quantum CAT by Sarvesh K Verma
2) Verbal Ability (Grammar related) – Better English by Norman Lewis
3) Vocabulary – Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis and The Hindu newspaper editorials