IIM Shillong Selection Criteria

IIM Shillong was established in 2007 with an aim to setup best management education institute in North East India. Right from its inception, IIM Shillong differentiated itself from other B-Schools by emphasizing heavily on students past academic scores for giving admission to its flagship programme, PGP in Management. In this article, we try to understand IIM Shillong selection criteria and see whether the past pattern has been continued or changed during current year. 

Selection Criteria of IIM Shillong

IIM Shillong follows a 3 stage process for selecting candidates to its PG Programmes.

Selection stages of IIM Shillong

(CAT: Common Admission Test, WSAT: Written Skills Assessment Test and PI: Personal Interview)

Stage-I (Applying and Writing CAT)

In Stage I, candidates have to apply online for CAT and appear for the exam. In this stage, IIMs gather all the requisite information from the candidates related to past academics, work experience, details of various degrees etc. Once the candidate appears for CAT, then stage – II starts.

Stage-II (Selection for WSAT and PI Round)

In Stage-II, IIM Shillong applied various criteria to select and call the candidates for WSAT/PI round. Candidates had to clear the following section-wise cutoffs as well as cutoff marks to be obtained in Class X, Class XII and Graduation:

Academics and CAT cutoffs for IIM Shillong

The candidates who cleared the above filtering criteria were then classified into 7 academic categories. The applicants were segregated based on their academic category (AC 1 to AC 7) and reservation category.

AC-1 refers to Medical and Surgery related fields

AC-2 refers to Selected Professional Degree like CA, CS, ICWA

AC-3 refers to Commerce, Finance, Economics and Management related degrees

AC-4 refers to Engineering degree

AC-5 refers to Science, Nursing and Agri-based areas

AC-6 refers to Arts, Humanities, Fashion Technology, law and rural studies

AC-7 refers to Any other discipline

Applicants of each academic category were shortlisted proportional to their representation in the overall number of applicants. For instance, if 70% of the overall applicants belong to AC-4, then 70% of the shortlisted candidates would be belonging to that category.

Within each academic category (AC-1 to AC-7), the percentage of calls given to the candidates of each reservation category was listed below –

No. of calls to the Differently Abled category candidates = 3.0% of total calls
No. of calls to the ST category candidates = 7.5% of total calls
No. of calls to the SC category candidates = 15.0% of total calls
No. of calls to the Other category (Open and OBC) candidates = 74.5% of total calls

The required number of candidates from each academic category and reservation category were called for the WSAT and PI round based on their CAT Score.

Stage-III (Final Selection)

Candidates were expected to clear the minimum cutoff performance in the WSAT & PI round in order to land a final admission. The cutoff in terms of a percentage of minimum performance in WSAT & PI to the maximum possible score in that round is different across reservation categories.

IIM Shillong WSAT and PI Cutoff

Scores of WSAT and PI of each shortlisted candidate were clubbed together. These values were then normalized. These normalized scores accounted for 70% and normalized CAT scores were accounted for the remaining 30% of the final score.

Final Merit Score = 70% (Normalized WSAT + Normalized PI Score) + 30% (Normalized CAT score)

Merit List was prepared and candidates were awarded admission in descending order of the scores. This process was followed by IIM Shillong for admission to its 2016-18 programme and we expect the pattern to be more or less same for 2017-19 batch also.


  1. Pingback: Admission Criteria of all IIMs - MBA Den

Leave a Reply