Shailesh J Mehta School of Management (SJMSOM) was established in 1995 by IIT Bombay. SJMSOM currently offers Masters in Management Degree (equivalent to MBA). SJMSOM is one of the few institutes to use only CAT scores for selecting candidates for Written Ability Test and Personal Interview round. In this article, we try to understand SJMSOM selection criteria.
SJMSOM (IIT Bombay) Admission Criteria
SJMSOM followed a 3 stage process for selecting candidates to its PG Programme in Management based on CAT 2015 scores.
(CAT: Common Admission Test, WAT: Written Ability Test and PI: Personal Interview)
Stage-I (Applying and Writing CAT)
In Stage I, candidates have to apply online for CAT and appear for the exam. In this stage, IIMs gather all the requisite information from the candidates related to past academics, work experience, details of various degrees etc. Once the candidate appears for CAT, then stage – II starts. IIMs have no role in selection of candidates for SJMSOM.
Stage-II (Selection for WAT/PI Round)
Candidates have to clear the overall cutoffs as decided by the institute. Merit list was drawn and SJMSOM called candidates in the descending order. Last year cutoffs in CAT to get interview call from SJMSOM were:
- For General Category, CAT 2015 overall cutoff percentile was approximately 98.3
- For Non Creamy layer (OBC), CAT 2015 overall cutoff percentile was approximately 87.0 (last year candidates who got 90 percentile were able to get final admission)
- For Scheduled Caste Category, CAT 2015 overall cutoff percentile was approximately 80.0
Stage-III (Final Selection)
Candidates who were selected based on above parameters were further tested on Written Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview. In WAT, a topic was given and candidates were asked to pen their thoughts. WAT was used to test candidate’s grasp on the content, vocabulary and structuring of thought process while putting the essay together. In personal interviews, candidates were further evaluated based on their functional knowledge, work experience, general awareness, assessment of leadership skills, personal and professional achievements. The Final weightage given for admissions to Master of Management Programme (MMP) in SJMSOM was as under:
A maximum of 20 marks were awarded under this. Students final CAT score was divided with the highest score obtained by topper in CAT and multiplied with 20 to get the final marks under this criteria.
Past Academics – 10th, 12th and graduation Marks
A maximum of 5, 8, and 13 marks were awarded to candidate’s 10th, 12th and graduation marks respectively based on following formulae:
- For 10th Marks = 5*((Marks Obtained in % – 60)/30)
- For 12th Marks = 8*((Marks Obtained in % – 60)/30)
- For Graduation Marks = 13*((Marks Obtained in % – 60)/30)
Anyone who got less than 60% were awarded zero and anyone who score more than 90% were awarded maximum weightage marks i.e., 5, 8 and 10 respectively for 10th, 12th and graduation marks.
A maximum of 9 marks were awarded based on the following formulae:
- For work experience less than 48 months = (No.of Months * 9)/48
- For Work experience more than 48 months but less than 60 months = 9- 0.66*(No. of Months – 48)
- For Work experience more than 60 months: Zero
Achievements in extra curriculars from Class 11th Standard onwards were given follow weightage:
- For Winning National Level Competition – 4
- For Winning State Level Competition/Inter State Participation – 3
- For Winning College Level Competition/Intra State Participation – 2
- For Winning City Level Competition – 1
Written Ability Test and Personal Interview
WAT and PI were given a weightage of 10% and 34% respectively in the final admission of SJMSOM. Thus above parameters were used for giving final admission to interested and eligible candidates.
Our Final Words
SJMSOM has the best MBA programmes among IITs and is considered to be one of the top 20 B-Schools in India. The fee component is comparatively lower at approx. Rs. 8.0 Lakh for entire 2 year programme. In addition, SJMSOM did not consider non Engineering candidates for admission to its MMP, so all those with Engineering background should seriously consider SJMSOM as the competition is relatively low. Having said that, SJMSOM relies on strong brand value of IIT Bombay for driving its placements and industry interaction with a beautiful campus. So give your best shot at CAT and try for SJMSOM. All the best.
You may also like selection criteria of: